Friday, September 11, 2009

A milestone accompanied with some fear

Here it is, another weekly milestone on this journey-32 weeks along today. Yesterday, we had our bi-weekly OB visit. This time, it was with the Dr. 90% of my appointments are with the midwives, whom I love, but it's nice to see the Dr. once in a while also. She doesn't do late or weekend appointments, so having to go in the middle of the day is a bummer since my husband can't get the time off of work. His benefits haven't kicked in yet, so I was expecting to go by myself.

To my surprise, I get a phone call from John a few hours before my appointment, and he says, pick me up on the way. He talked to his boss, told him it's just very important to him that he meets the doctor (he'd never met her before). The only time he missed an appointment was the other time I saw the Dr. during the middle of the day about 18 weeks along.

The appointment went great. Hearing our little boy's heartbeat never fails to excite us. I'm up to date on all of my bloodwork and she just seemed to be so happy that everything was going smoothly for us. The only concern we had deals with the topic on everyone's mind lately-the FLU SEASON.

How will that affect me and the baby? Not only is the H1N1 virus spreading throughout our area, the flu is one of the strongest they've seen in awhile. The Dr. suggested I get both vaccinations for the flu and swine flu. I've never had the flu shot in my life, so I'm a little nervous that I'll get some symptoms. She assured me that you can not get the flu from the flu shot. If I do contract any type of it, to let their office know, they'll treat me with safe anti-viral medication and put me on antibiotics during delivery if necessary.

Overall, it went well. She did a great job of answering our questions and filling us in on what to expect at our next appointments. In just a few more weeks, they will start monitoring me at weekly appointments. AH! He's almost here.

We can't wait to see him.

No comments: